Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Seek the Lord

It's Wednesday and I'm trying to think what I can write about and I'm coming up empty. I guess I talked too much in yesterday's blog. I noticed how long it was. Sorry about that. Last week I said I was going to start making them shorter and then I go and type the longest one yet. (I don't think I'll have that problem today. LOL) I'm going to have to get some housework done today. I've put it off for about as long as I can. Funny how there's always something needing to be cleaned. My baths are a mess. The kitchen too. And my floors can always use vacuuming. I have to bite the bullet every once in awhile and clean.

Those miners are still trapped. I can't help but think they're probably dead. But I continue to hold out hope for them because if they aren't dead they're probably in pretty bad shape by this time. [Mario just chased Pretty across the living room. Don't know what his problem is.] But I feel bad for the miners' families too. It seems like this rescue effort has taken longer than I've ever seen it take to free miners trapped underground. Maybe I just don't remember it correctly but it sure seems like it doesn't usually take this long. [Mario is now sitting up here on my desk by my keyboard looking all innocent like.]

My cats are being very active this morning. Chasing each other around the house and jumping from one thing to another. Cats are funny creatures. They have all these different moods they get into. I love dogs and have always had at least one, but cats are my favorites because they're so independent and moody. You don't tell a cat to sit and stay. If you do they'll just look at you like you just said the world's most ridiculous statement. They do as they please and you have to accept them just the way they are. Mario has developed (or is in the process of developing) the habit of jumping up on the table while we're trying to eat dinner. He doesn't beg for a hand out and won't eat one if you try to give him one. He just wants to sit on the end of the table and watch us eat. He became such a pest last night that I had to get up and carry him to his boxes. Rotten cat! All my animals have bad manners but I know I'm not the only one who spoils her cats rotten. I have a deaf friend whose cats are every bit as bad as mine. Mario is now over on my nail desk watching out the glass sliding doors at the hummingbirds visiting the feeder. My nectar is sure going down slowly this time. Guess I shouldn't complain. My sisters are run ragged keeping their feeders full! They have so many hummers over there. I don't know why they have them in such abundance as they do but when we stopped by a couple weeks ago there must have been close to a dozen feeding (or trying to feed) all at the same time on my sister's feeders.

My church is going to do the Purpose Driven Church campaign for 40 days. I've done the Purpose Driven Life for the individual but this will be my first time to go through the program with the entire church. I volunteered to be on the prayer committee (I don't know if it's called a committee, I'm just using that word because it's all I can think of at this time) and I just had to stop and take a phone call from Evelyn, who is also on the committee. There are some copies at the church I need to pick up the next time I go out. I hadn't planned on going out today but I'll make a trip to the Post Office since it's Wednesday and swing by the church on my way home. I have a deacons' meeting tomorrow night and I guess I could pick them up then. But I hate to do that because the office secretary wouldn't be there and I'd have to go snooping around on her desk to find them so I'll make the effort to go out today. Our phone bill should be in the mail today anyway and I can get that paid and out of the way too.

My Daily Bible Verses for today were from Ecclesiastes 12:1-7 about remembering the Lord in the days of our youth because we're eventually going to grow old and die. It reminds me of that other verse that says, "seek the Lord while He may be found." (Isaiah 55:6) It would be an interesting short study to research all the times 'seek the Lord' is used in the Bible. There are quite a few of them. I may just do that later today after I get my housework done. But how do we seek the Lord? We're told in Matthew 7:7 to "keep on seeking." So how do we seek the Lord?

We seek the Lord by being ever aware of Him, in everything we do, every where we go, we are aware that God exists. We seek Him by seeing Him in the beauty around us and hearing Him in the sound of a breeze rustling the leaves around us. We see Him in others when they do and live rightly. We see Him in fairness and justice. We seek the Lord by keeping Him in our minds at all times. When you see something beautiful, do you whisper, "Thank You, Lord?" When someone allows you to make a left turn in front of them, do you say, "Thank You, Lord?" And when someone loves you, do you say, "Thank You, Lord?" We seek the Lord by seeing Him in everything we do, everything we see, everyone we meet. We seek Him in every experience we go through. Simply stated, we seek Him by seeing Him. By our constant awareness of His reality. By a certain sensitivity to His Spirit. We can also seek the Lord by reading the Bible where He reveals Himself to us through Scripture. But I think these verses I'm talking about, talk about a different kind of seeking. It's a more vital, a more immediate, and a more intimate sense of seeking. It's living our lives in His immediate presence with a constant awareness of Him. That's the kind of seeking I think these verses talk about. It isn't a head knowledge that we are to seek and to keep on seeking. It's a heart knowledge. It's a sense of knowing Him in our deepest emotions. It's doing everything we do for Him and because of Him. So "seek the Lord in the days of your youth" and you will be well prepared to live out the remainder of your life in His presence. Be aware. Be ever aware. That's what I think these verses say.

So as I go about my day today cleaning the house and running errands I will be ever aware of Him. I will clean my house unto the Lord and I will run my errands unto Him. Do you see the difference? It's not that I will clean and then seek Him. No, it's that I will seek Him in my cleaning. I will seek Him in my errands. He has given me a certain responsibility: to seek Him every minute of my day in everything I do and everywhere I go. This is a difficult concept to write about because it deals with the heart and not the head and I hope I haven't completely confused you. If I have, mull it over in your head and heart for a few days and ask the Lord to open your eyes to see what He desires you to take away from this blog. Remember the Holy Spirit is our Teacher and He teaches each of us differently. He, and He alone, knows what and when He wants to teach you.

Well I just noticed my blogger slipped back to the default typeface. Sorry about that but I'm not going to go back and retype it all in the correct typeface. My blog will just have to look funny for today. It's almost noon now and I've made up my mind that I'm going to post this blog on time today! So this will be it until tomorrow. Seek the Lord in everything you do today. Bask in His glory and His presence.

No comments: