Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just Thinking

Another thing that the Lord has recently done in my life is that He has me tithing. It's funny how this worked out because I always gave a certain amount weekly in my church offering plate and then several months back I thought maybe I should start tithing. I felt it was time to make some kind of commitment. I thought that was the least I could do. So I figured up the 10% and discovered I was already giving 10%! So the only difference now, I guess, is that I can't go lower than what I've been giving. But I'm also giving the 10% on any money that comes my way as a gift or with the recent IRS Stimulus check. I now think of it all as God's money out of which He gives me a share. But it's funny that I was always so adamant that I was no longer under law and as such, I could give whatever I wanted to give. I never thought that I would ever "tithe." I was above tithing. lol. I always gave but I was "free" to give what I wanted. (I'm trying to explain my mindset here.) When I left the Jehovah's Witnesses and found true freedom in Christ I automatically thought "I don't have to give 10%, I'm free." And, yes, I am free but it suddenly came to me that I am just as free to give my tithe. Isn't it funny the way our minds work? And then to find out that I was already tithing was a riot to me. (I have a strange sense of humor!) I had thought I was so "spiritual" to be giving just what I wanted to give and not a penny more or a penny less. No one could tell me how much to give to my Lord, no siree! So anyway, it was funny to me how this all came about. And what have I accomplished, you ask? Not really anything except that I'm conscious of the fact that I tithe and that I have been tithing all along. A small matter that no one else would give any thought to. My mind just works in funny ways and I'm so aware of the changes I'm going experiencing as I'm being put through the sanctification process.

Isn't God simply amazing? I see Him being active in my life every single day. He's in my decision-making and in my relationships with others and with my beloved. He is so active in my life. And I've discovered (through blogging) that He's active in every body's life. That came as such a shock to me. That He is just as active in other people's lives as He is in mine. What an amazing God! This is so different from being a JW which is this incredibly dry and empty cult. A dangerous cult. Looking back I can't believe I fell for so many of Satan's lies. But it was so easy then. Just obey all the rules and everything's okay. (Or more truthfully, pretend to keep all the rules.) But there was nothing internal about those beliefs back then. It was all external and all we talked about were the different "classes" of people. There was nothing personal. There was nothing inside of me at all but fear that I'd break a rule and be rejected. There was no such thing as grace. I was always fearful of being cast out for "conduct unbecoming a Christian." Can you believe we actually called ourselves Christians? I can't. Not after experiencing what it really means to be a Christian. God is such a personal and relational God. He is so full of love for us as individuals. I think it's absolutely amazing that He heard my prayers, my longings and cravings for a real relationship with Him and He took the initiative and called me to Himself. There is no way I would ever have had the courage to leave all that error on my own. He called me out of darkness and into His unbelievable light! We have an amazing God. And I will praise Him every day of my life.

And yet another thing that God is doing in my life is that He's given me an all new appreciation for my marriage and my husband, who I call my beloved because he is. He is my very best friend and a terrific companion. We think so much alike and are interested in so many of the same things. It's almost scary. He is a baptized believer but he isn't active with church. I don't know how that works because there's no way I could avoid being active. I love being a deacon! I love so much being involved. I enjoy doing things for my church family. This coming Sunday is communion Sunday and we're also having a baptism and those fall onto my shoulders. I do communion from start to finish but I just sort of "help out" with the baptisms. I always bring all the wet robes and towels home and launder them and I help clean up the mess baptisms make. All the wet rugs and runners have to be carried outside to dry, etc. Anyway, back to my marriage. The Lord has done such a good job there totally renewing my commitment to my beloved. I actually look for things to do for him, things that I know please him. I feel fulfilled when I know he's happy. It all boils down to an emptying of self. To live sacrificially within the institution of marriage. I'm not happy unless I am busy making him happy. I love him with the deepest kind of human love and I fully believe it's meant to be this way. But do I pray for his state of non-interest in church activities. But he does go with me to small group and has been for quite a little while now. And I'm so grateful for that. God will pull him around. I know He will.

I've spent so much time blogging the last few days that I wonder if this isn't bad in some way. Maybe I need to budget my blogging time. Has anyone else had this happen and if so, how did you handle your situation? I love blogging and reading blogs because other people's blogs are so interesting and the fact that they are all faith-related blogs gives me comfort in that I'm not really wasting my time but, then again, maybe I am. I'm open for suggestions. It seems like I am either blogging or reading. Maybe I need a little balance. Last summer the Lord moved me to make mental lists of morning chores and evening chores. Well, I've kept with the evening chores but some how along the way I lost my morning chores. I think I need to go back to them. It was just 5 or 6 things that I made myself do every morning before I turned on my computer. I think I need to go back to that. How do you budget your time? How do you keep your computer time to reasonable amounts? I don't function as well without "chores" as I do with them. I tend to waste a lot of time.

My hubby wants me to go to the Post Office. And I still have so many things to do that need to be done so I think I'm going to have to get off this computer and spend some time taking care of other responsibilities. I didn't really have anything to write about anyway. It's just that I needed to say more of what the Lord is doing in my life. Some of the changes in me are so subtle and of such little consequence to anyone but me that I don't know why He bothers sometimes. But it's an act of sanctification. He is changing me into the person He wants me to become for Him. But they are critical changes to me. My "inner man" is being changed, or exchanged for the life of Christ. It's just amazing to see Him be so active and to be fully cognizant that it is Him living His life through me. And then the real topper is to see through blogging that He is just as active in everyone else's lives. What an awesome God! Sorry this has been such a nothing blog. I haven't had time to think of blogs to write because my in-depth Bible study takes so much of my time and thought processes that I don't have anything left for creating interesting blogs. But I wanted to blog so you'll know that I'm thinking of all of you and mentioning you in my prayers. I'm just blown away with how good God is! And busy!!! I still look back at the 13 years as a JW with so much regret, but I know that all was not lost because He heard my prayers while I was steeped in error and He called me out to His wonderful Truth. It's amazing.

I finish my big Bible Study on Friday of this week so maybe I can get back to writing real blogs again instead of just my ramblings. Stay close to our Savior.

4 comments:

Paula V said...

Marj, I popped over hear after making another comment on Broken Vessels. I read your recent post because the word tithe stuck out at me. You will be amazed what obedience to tithing will do. It is very honoring to God and it is an act of trust. You are right, I also give 10% of all refunds (stimulus, federal), I also give 10% of the interest I receive on savings. I've also heard it preached that we should give 10% on our gross income because God deserves 10% of all and not after our taxes our paid. I would have to figure my up again, to see if I'm still tithing on gross or net income. I've also begun to pray over writing the check. I've never held tight and selfishly onto that money but I've realized I need to thank God for my finances and more actively express my joy over giving my tithe.

REgarding blogging...yes it can become time consuming. Just like I
ve not been able to blog in a week nor have I check my friends' blogs today. I've also not read and been with the Lord. So, I need to get on my pjs and crack open His word. I am reading the full book of Daniel and want to finish that tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

So, if your blogging gets in the way of prayer and reading God's Word, yes, it is not good. However, you are right that we are being fed with the faith of others when we visit Christian blogs. So many times, we can learn from other people's experiences and God can really speak to us through others and maybe change our way of thinking on a certain issue.

Blessings,
Paula

God Chaser said...

Marj thanks for stopping by and contributing to my blog. I am so happy God has bless you in such an amazing way. So happy you are now a part of the Christian faith.
I too have been amzae by how God is blessing so many women and the number of blogs I too enjoy visitng and writing- this has open a whole new world for me. We get to meet so many other christian sisters and yes it is hard to have blaance and I am trying to work on that. I feel I need to post often so women won't stop coming- but I know God will bring those He desire to read whatever is post just as He led you to mine and now me to yours. I am going to try to post a couple of times a week but if not when I can- becasue it can take from bible study time which is the more important thing and necessary to blog- because blogging is a teaching ground we all learn from each other and it opens us to new thoughts to meditate. We just have to be careful not to let it become before the time we spend in study and prayer and I admit I am working onthis part also.

Tracy said...

Marj,
Thank you so much for your visit to my blog and your kind comments. I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I have a son of my own and I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

I really enjoyed your post today. What a great encouragement to others who may not currently be tithing.

I know what you mean about spending large amounts of time blogging. It's such a fascination to me, really. I have to watch myself...though. I can easily spend long periods of time linking from from blog to blog and though they encourage and teach, in some cases, I'm ignoring something else that needs my attention.

Love what you shared about your relationship with your husband despite how the two of you differ in how you practice your faith. Again, what an encouragement to others who may struggle with that.

Thank you again for your visit to my blog. It's nice to "meet" you. = )

Blessings,
Tracy

Robin Lambright said...

This is a wonderful book that my accountability group did several years ago. It is very helpful in giving direction and suggestions on how as a wife you can pray for your husband.

I enjoyed it very much.

http://www.stormieomartian.com/details.cfm?product=5075722

I also can get a bit sucked in with either posting to my blog or spending time blog hopping. But I try to limit myself to after I have had my quiet time (I fail at this sometimes, like I did this morning, I was up late last night emailing a sweet blog friend who offered to pray for my son, but you wouldn’t know anything about that LOL, thank you by the way, it means more to me that you know, but then from your response to my email I know that you do know very well) but I do feel that it helps me to see how great God is in the lives of so many.

I also feel that God does have a huge place in what I write and that He has called me to continue to express myself with my writing. Somedays I work on my blog other day I write about other things with the objective of getting published one day. God gives me the direction on what needs to be done each day.

But I have to continually each day ask Him for guidance and balance, the laundry, the dishes and dinner time all have there priorities as well. Drat!