Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I finished the Psalms last night and will move on into the books of wisdom starting today. I'm not looking forward to Job as I just recently finished reading Job. It is a tiring book. I don't know how Job survived his grief. I'm just starting with Proverbs today so I haven't gotten to Job yet. I just know it's in my future. I sat and read all the chapters in Proverbs last night and I was surprised at how many of them made sense. Always before when I looked at them I'd always look at Proverbs that made no sense at all. Or at least they didn't to me at the time. But there really are a great many that make perfect sense.

K and T brought me some flowers for Mother's Day in a big round bowl. But to everyone's surprise they weren't even planted in the bowl. There was no potting soil in the bowl except down in the very bottom (1/2") of the bowl. There were 17 or 18 different flowers that had just been removed from their seedling container with their root balls shoved down in the bowl with no potting soil. Some of them were pretty wilted but I've got my fingers crossed on them. I took all the flowers out of the bowl and filled 3 long planters that we mounted along the deck railing. And I still had enough flowers left to fill the bowl back up again. I was hoping they'd be a little perkier this morning than they are. There's no telling how long those flowers had had their roots exposed to the air so some of them might not make it. But I'm hoping! They are mostly pansies but there's a couple petunias, a marigold, some little daisy-looking flowers, and a couple sweet alyssum. They all look very colorful out on our deck. We have screen shade up along the side of the house that has the deck (which happens to be the west side) where we have some chairs and a table set up and so we put the flowers out in this area and it changed the mood completely. I've been going out there every evening and reading the assigned chapters for my study the next day. It's worked out really nice; it felt totally different sitting out there last evening with those beautiful colorful flowers all around. I'm hoping they won't die this summer in the unrelenting heat. Just about everything I've tried to grow out there has died off in the heat of summer. I have a couple flowers (can't remember what the name is) at the edge of the sidewalk down at the end of the garage and they keep coming back each year. They're hardy plants. All the other flowers I planted with them died off but these two flowers just keep hanging in there. Maybe one of these days I'll have a little color around this place.

Well I have nothing to write about today. I slept late then did a little housework and now I need to get to my study. I am on day 13 already. Amazing how the days just keep on whizzing by. The older I get, the faster they go. I could write a devotional if I could just get my brain to shift into gear. But it appears to be stuck in neutral. Sorry, I will try to do better next time. I'm not sure if I'll blog tomorrow since I have to go to the Miss Calaveras pageant because my granddaughter is trying out. I hope she does well. She'll be dancing to her own music, her own singing so that should make it interesting. The winner is usually a high school senior from one of our high schools but the cut off age is 21 and K hasn't reached 21 yet so she still qualifies. Wish her luck for me.

No comments: