Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday's Musings

Here it is 14:12 hours and I'm still playing around on my computer. I think I'm going to have to be careful to not carry this blogging thing too far. It's scary how easy it is to get totally lost inside the blogging world and suddenly coming up for air to find the clock hands have spun around a few times on you. I wanted to do a devotional and have wanted to do that for the past month but I haven't had the time. And now that I have the time I find my mind blank! I finished my in-depth Bible study yesterday afternoon. (A day early because our cable service was out all yesterday afternoon and the house was nice and quiet and I just decided to go ahead and finish the study.) I have had a look at every book of the Bible, at the authors, and the extent of the message. Some books were just cursory glances, other were more detailed. But over all it has been a very profitable study and one that I will probably do again in a few years down the line. The cursory look at the Prophets has made me hungry for a more in-depth study of just them so that's my next endeavor, I think. I fell so much in love with them in this past study that I desire to go through them, looking a little closer and spending a little more time. What I got out of them this time is the fact that God lays bare His great big heart to us. He is so beseeching in the Prophets, wooing us to Himself. You can't read the Prophets and come away thinking that God just might not love you. He says, "See how much I love you and how much I long for you to love me?" He speaks over and over again of how much He desires us to come to Him in love and obedience and if we would just do that, we would see how truly good He desires our lives to be. You may already know that but I didn't before this study. I always thought of the Prophets as the place to see God's condemnation and words of judgment and while that does come into play, it was His incredible love for mankind that He revealed to me in this last study. Joel, Micah, Zephaniah, and some of the other small books are just ripe with God's pleadings for us to turn to Him. He has all this love and blessing that He desires to impart to us, if we would but come to Him. You can often hear the pain and desire in His voice. Over and over again He tells us of the blessings He has for His people. I'm spending a little time today playing those things around in my head trying to solidify the way I want to study them. I go in search of the Father's love so I don't know that commentaries are the way to approach this study. Has any of you found a rewarding way of studying the Bible on your own? If so, would you share?

Well, ladies, I blew it! I'm so put out with myself. This is Friday and my second Fasting Friday and an hour or so ago I reached into the fridge and pulled out a piece of turkey bologna and ate it, and THEN remembered that I'm not supposed to eat on Fridays. Rats! And then, when I ran out to the Post Office and the Bank, I stopped at my favorite mini-mart and bought myself some candy. BUT immediately after buying them I remembered, so I still have those. I didn't eat them. Why was it so hard for me to not eat today?! Habit!! It all falls back on habit. So I wondered if I should just called the day a total loss and go ahead and eat anything I wanted to but then thought, no, a partial fast is better than no fast at all when I've already told the Lord that I will be fasting for the day. The thing is that I knew it was a day of fasting, I'd already remembered that. I just without thinking put food in my mouth. (Maybe that has to do something with the weight gain I'm struggling with.) Well, like I said, a partial fast is better than no fast at all. Now this is for me ladies. I'm not saying that we must all fast or are in any way more special because we do fast or do anything else for that matter. This is just a personal thing I'm doing with the Lord. I felt led to fast but I have no idea why. This is all part of the new relationship that the Lord and I are building. He has become so active in my life and He has me doing incredible things. Things I would never have done on my own. In fact, some are things I was almost against. Things like fasting, journaling, and tithing. Oh and my manner of dress. There's this whole new sense of self I have with God now. Why would these things be important in any way? To me or to anyone else? And yet, I feel His nudges and checks with all of them. It's really sort of weird. Weird but wonderful. I really think what the Lord is showing me is just the incredible amount of freedom we have in Christ. I've always thought of not doing things as my freedom from the Law, from all the rules and regulations. And now it's almost like God is saying, "Yes, child, but you have the freedom to DO these things as well as to not do them. I'm ashamed to admit it but I think there was a bit of pride in my choices to NOT to do certain things. And now God is showing me that I have just as much freedom with or without choices I make (and others too by extension). I don't know if I'm making myself clear here and really I guess it is such a small matter that I probably shouldn't be looking into it at all. Sort of a NON-ISSUE. But it's fun to know the Lord is doing things in your life that only a matter of months or years ago were so totally unimportant to me. God is just showing me that people who love and worship Him are just as free to keep the rules as they are to NOT keep the rules. Anyway, for whatever reason and forever how long, I am finding myself doing things I used to pride myself in NOT doing. I know. It doesn't make sense to me either. Ha! It is just incredible to feel the Lord working in our lives, isn't it? I just love it! And it's amazing how we can work pride into all the things we do (or don't do) without even noticing.

My beloved is out working on his latest play thing ... the bus. I was starting to feel guilty because the only thing I've accomplished today were my morning chores and errands. But I guess if he can play all day, so can I. We're just going to have hot dogs for dinner [we grilled a bunch the other night just to have on hand, ready to eat (all we have to do is nuke them); they taste entirely different after they've been grilled] so, that being said, I don't have to be planning or preparing for dinner. I love it that he is as casual about food as I am. No, I don't think casual is the right word for me. Rebellious is more like it, ha! The fact that we are required to spend so much of our time and energy around this silly habit we all have of eating several times a day! And the fact that I spent the last 35 years coming up with menu ideas and dinner plans and have suddenly decided to rebel. We still have to cook but both of us are interested in just doing the basics and go back to formal dining when we get around to it. I went through a phase almost 10 years ago when I was really into cooking. I watched all the TV shows about cooking (now they an entire network dedicated to cooking!) and subscribed to a couple food magazines. I really had fun but I didn't have much of anything else. I was so busy planning and preparing our next meal that nothing else got done. As you can tell I'm a real phase-er. I go all out for one thing and then after a little while it's something else that has my interest. [The thought of that candy in the kitchen just waiting until 6:00PM has my mouth watering and all this talking about food isn't helping so I think I'll go on to something else.]

Pastor just called and we're going to do communion a little differently this Sunday so I won't have to get up early and get to church at the crack of dawn (what feels like it anyway) just to get everything ready beforehand. And that means there won't be a lot of clean up afterward so I'm going to get off lightly. I'm glad he thought to call me and let me know. Last time he forgot to call and we had to do it a little differently than he had wanted. But it taught him to remember to call me ahead of time when he wants to do this.

Today is another beautiful day up here in the Sierra foothills. A good stiff breeze is blowing and the sun is bright and the skies are clear. We've had more wind in the past couple weeks than we've ever had before though. There were con trails marking the sky when I went out to run errands and for some reason I thought of those old westerns I used to watch that had con trails in the sky above the horses and stagecoaches. Guess when you're making a movie you can spend time worrying about little things like that. It's like watching an old Rockford Files where the car screeches to a stop or slides around the corner in the chase scene and you see all the rubber on the road from all the practice runs they've made before filming. It's always funny to see things like that. I saw an Alien movie once that was supposed to be our first landing on mars and there were tire tracks all over the place on this never-before visited planet.

Well, this has been a real nothing post! Sorry! And with that I think I'll put this poor thing out of its misery and publish it. I will try really hard to come up with a devotional for my next blog. Something other than ramblings. But if you've been feeling the Lord really working in your life, would you share that with me on this blog. He does things so differently with everyone that it's really fun to read. What is He doing for you in your life?


4 comments:

God Chaser said...

I was wondering what study you just completed that took you through te entire bible, was it a year study.
God is doing some wonderful things for me also one of which is my own blog. the blog is one way of growing to write the way I want to write requires I study the word more. I believe God open this door for me as well as some others. He placed me at a new church for a season where I am studying under a very gifted Pastor and supportive First Lady. God has place the desire in my heart to focus on my relationship with Him, for the past 19 years I have been doing church work- I was involve in just about every ministry at my church, God spoke to me several years ago to move from so much church work and spend more time wth Him. I did not listen so this past year circumstances led me to move from church work and into more study and spending time with God. I too have to be careful with the blog that I don't let it take too much of my time. One must keep her priorities in order which is God, family, church. One of the reasons I posted the prayer question was to see where it would go-to test the waters for other things I want to do in ministry. Ok I'm sure I'm sharing much more than you wanted to hear so I will stop here.

godlover said...

For God Chaser:
The study I just finished was based on the book "Know the Bible in 30 Days" by J. Stephen Lang from Guideposts. I would recommend it to anyone. There's a lot of reading if you read the Bible references as well as the chapter in the textbook every day. Although each chapter is different, it took me an average of 1.5 - 2.0 hours to complete the daily assignment.

I'm so glad you're finding time for study. That has been the greatest gift for me in this season of my life. (No family to take care of.) I have all the time I need for study and fellowship with the Lord. And I have been blessed repeatedly by God for devoting myself to Him. He loves us beyond measure and desires to teach us all kinds of things about Himself. I'm so happy to hear you have moved into a season of study. Our Father will reward you, I'm sure! I will leave a message for you over on your blog too since I don't know where you will look to find my reply.

YSIC
Marj
Calaveras County CA
http://gdlvr.blogspot.com

God Chaser said...

Marj you leave me with another question. When you were baptized at the age of 8 even though it was only for the bread and wine(you are not alone in this many children are baptized for the same reason) did you confess Jesus as your Savior when you responded to the offer of salvation?
Thanks for sharing your story and joining me in this look at prayer. This will certianly help me gain more understanding. I am not trying to challenge anyone's beliefs but my own and I am just trying to know God and sometimes this means asking questions that may leave people wondering about me and my beliefs. It also help me to be open to what others believe and why, thus sending me deeper in the word to mediatate on all the scriptures other gives. Once again thanks.
I am happy for you also being able to study as much as you desire. I do have work and a 12 almost 13 year old who requires time and sometimes feel I am ignoring her when I get on this computer or in the word- so balance is a problem for me but that is not new it has always been a problem for me. I am open to suggestions in this area also.

Ginny said...

Hey Marj, I just read your comment on my blog about JWs. Thank you for going into all the detail for me! I am so glad you got out! Don't worry, I am never mean to strangers (even those pesky telemarketers)-especially not the poor people going door to door like that. I also don't do the arguing thing. I just nicely explain that we stand firm in our beliefs. One question I was tempted to ask the ladies who came to my house regarding that book, is who gave the JWs the authority to say what the Bible really teaches. The authority issue is the big reason I am Catholic. Of course if they ever do come back I doubt I would ask them, because I hate any sort of confrontation. Thanks again for all the information!