Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Short Saturday Blog

I slept until 11:55 this morning and almost fell over when I looked at my watch. I thought it was about 9:00. That's what it felt like. Nine o'clock. Far from it! Can't believe I slept most of the day away. I had thought about going to WalMart today and buying some yarn but I decided not to waste the gas as I have some left over yarn I can use. Yesterday I dug out all my yarn and needles and decided to try another scarf. Since I don't have a full skein of yarn I cut the width of the scarf down to just 16 stitches. It actually felt good to sit and knit for a couple hours last night as I waited for it to get late enough to go to the church.

Last night was Lock-In for 7th, 8th, and 9th graders and I got there just as the rally was ending. Radical Reality were the headliners for the night and they demonstrated all their skills to a packed house. I was amazed that there were so many kids there. There must have been at least 200! Maybe more. Marilyn and I were in charge of the sanctuary and we first started cleaning up the mess Radical Reality leaves behind. I kinda thought they'd clean up their own mess but they didn't. We had torn phone books thrown everywhere, broken bricks lying in a crumpled mass on the stage, a broken bat (I watched the guy break over his thigh), and broken boards. It was really a mess. But a bunch of us pitched in and got it looking pretty good in short order. Then it was just up to Marilyn and I to keep the girls on one side and the boys on the other, as the sanctuary became the sleeping station after it finally cleared out after the rally, and it wouldn't do to have boys mixed with girls. But my shift being from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM went very smoothly. I think it was too early in the night for sleepers. But the kids were all SUPER excited and having an absolute ball.

I was going to wash my car today (and it needs it) but it's cold outside and is supposed to rain this afternoon sometime. It's already almost 2:00 and there's no rain yet. They said on the news last night that we were in for a good rain today. Wouldn't know it to look outside. If it warms up after while I'll go out and at least spray off my car. It's a mess from last Wednesday's light showers. Just took a walk outside and discovered there are puddles in the street so I think it must have rained before I got up. Of course anything could have happened before I got up as I was absolutely dead to the world. I still can't believe I slept until noon! Good grief! So if it has already rained I don't know if we'll be getting any more. There's a tenth of an inch in the rain gauge so we definitely had some rain before I woke up. I was hoping to enjoy the rain and I just may have slept through it.

Michael called yesterday late and let me know they made it to Portland, Oregon where they'll be staying for the next few days. Then they will drive back and go straight to San Francisco (Daly City, really) and after a night or two there, Michael will drive the old bus back up here. So I've still got a week alone. But I love the quiet. I just leave my TV off and enjoy. One thing Michael is ... is addicted to TV. I have some things I like to watch but I don't like having the TV on just to have it on. With Michael it's both TVs from the minute he gets up until the minute he heads to bed. TV didn't used to bother me. But after I lost most of my hearing it became irritating to have it on all the time. It takes so much concentrated effort to actually hear, that to save my sanity I don't listen to most of the stuff that's going on around me. It's all just noise to me anyway. I can't understand it unless I zero in on the person talking and watch their lips while they're talking, I've found that it's basically not worth the effort most of the time. Besides, I have a conversation with myself already running in my head and any outside noise is annoying and it interrupts my thoughts. Hearing loss is a very limiting thing. I think the reason Helen Keller said that if she could choose between deafness and blindness she'd choose blindness, because deafness always interferes with communication, while blindness doesn't.

I'll set the alarm for church tomorrow but I'll be hoping the Lord will wake me up. He almost always does. The 40 Days of Purpose campaign gets ever closer to reality. I'm excited to see what God will do with this campaign and nervous that we've bitten off more than we can chew. There's always that little seed of doubt with me. It's a good thing doubt isn't a sin or I'd be in lots of trouble. It's not that I don't trust the Lord to do mighty things, because I do, it's just that I can't see my church pulling together for a single purpose for such a long time. Of course the fact that I got into the campaign 8 weeks early (to begin the prayer part of the campaign) makes it seem even longer than the actual 40 days it is. But even though it's scary, it's really exciting too.

Well, I've got my chores all done but I think I'll go knit for awhile. I've covered about everything I had to write about. I had thought about doing a devotion today but decided to put it off until Monday. I think I'll keep today's blog just about things in my life. I haven't heard from Skatemama in quite awhile so I don't know how she's doing. She's keeping up with her blog so I'm not too worried about her. I just hope and pray for the best for her. She's so young with such a young family, I hate to see her bogged down with illness. I pray for her all the time. Oh well, I'm off to knitting now. I may blog again tomorrow after church. Seems things are a little too quiet around here. Michael's away and my sisters just flew out this morning for the family reunion back in Georgia so there's not anyone around to even blog with. I think I'll turn on my msn and see if anyone contacts me that way. So until my next blog ...

No comments: