Saturday, July 10, 2010

I've Been Busy


I know I've been busy but I didn't think I'd been gone that long! Lot's of things have been going on. I finished placemats for both sisters and am now sewing a set for my DIL (daughter-in-law) and I've got the fabric for my GD (granddaughter) all ready to cut out. These placemats are so easy I'm having a ball. Oh, I also got aprons matching their placemats done for them. DIL and GD will not have matching aprons.

Thanks to all 9 of you who chose to comment on my blog. I always feel good when people comment.

A couple months ago my DIL's mother gave me several big lawn bags full of yarn. I culled through and pulled out what I wanted and then I took the rest down to our knitting group's cupboards for other to choose from. There was a bag of Mohair yarn inside. Eight balls of Mohair yarn! But it looked just horrible. I would have guessed that it was older than I am (and I'm older than the hills) and the labels inside the bag were super old-fashioned labels. It looked horrible. There was even a dead wasp in with the balls of yarn. Finally, the other day I decided I'd check out the yarn and I started a scarf to see what happened. All that horrible looking yarn is knitting up into something quite exquisite. The shade of blue is airy and open like spun glass. It is quite possibly the most beautiful scarf I've ever seen. Just goes to show you that looks can be deceiving. I decided before I started knitting it that if it turned out okay I would give the scarf to my hair stylist for Christmas. She will appreciate it and give it a good home. I'm coming down to the home stretch and I'm getting antsy to get it finished. Hopefully by tomorrow. Wish I could post a picture of it. It's very, very nice.

I've not been too healthy the past 3 weeks. I started out with an infected jaw with my face all bloated and swollen. The doctor started me on antibiotics. About 4 days into that I choked taking a Tylenol and aspirated water and Tylenol into my right lung. Gave me aspiration pneumonia and the doctor immediately started me on an additional antibiotic. Which promptly gave me a yeast infection so I was put on yet another antibiotic making three for the total. I didn't do anything but knit for about 2 1/2 weeks. And knit I did! I made a baby afghan, a scarf for Christmas, and 5 pairs of slippers also for Christmas. Like I said, all I did was knit! But now that I'm better I have to squeeze in a few other things. Like cooking, cleaning, etc., etc.

My GS (grand son) will soon be coming home on leave. He'll finish up his firefighter training and then will get to come home on leave in late July/early August. This has really been hard on all of us. On my GS because he'd never been away from home. On my son and DIL because they'd never not had him around and on grandma because she's used to seeing him all the time and has a history as grandkids' babysitter. I can't wait to see him! He will be stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska. He doesn't like cold so he'll need to do some adapting when he gets up there. He's going to come home so different. He left as grandma's little boy. Now he's going to come home all grown up. We're having a big party for him out at the lake when he comes home on leave.

We have been inundated with hummingbirds!! We had to buy another feeder to give them more spaces from which to drink. They're going to drive me to the poor house mixing up their food for the feeders twice a day. I hadn't realized sugar was so expensive until I started buying it for the birds. They go through 5 pounds of sugar in about 2-1/2 days!! But we love to watch them.

I'm so far behind in my reading. I didn't feel like reading while I was sick. I couldn't concentrate. Knitting doesn't take much thought. You just do it. Reading you have to retain it. I've gotten several new books to read. My latest one (it came in today's mail) is, A Better Country: Preparing for Heaven by Dan Schaeffer. The title appealed to me. I can't remember the names of the other books but there are at least 3 others that I just haven't had the time to read. It's difficult for me to read anyway because hubby always has the TV on. There's no quiet place to read. I used to go outside on the deck and read before the heat turned to SCORCHING. I do wish I had a little quiet once in awhile!

I missed two weeks of my knitting group while out with pneumonia. The past Tuesday being my first time back. I was given a couple skeins of yarn for an afghan that is charity work. It will be auctioned off raising money for a good cause. Only thing is, I don't really want to do that. I have other things I'm working on. I don't usually mind but for some reason I just do not (read that: DO NOT) want to do it. I was asked if I'd participate in the making of that afghan while I was out sick and I don't think I was thinking too clearly when I said yes because I have so many other irons in the fire as it is. Any time I spend on that afghan is time away from the things I want to be knitting. After I finish this scarf, I have one more to make, and then I'm going to take the 8 skeins of brown 100% Alpaca yarn that I was given and knit up something. Don't know what. If I weren't so fat I'd knit me a sweater with it. But all my bulges will show in a sweater!
So many things to knit and so little time!!!

I started this with all kinds of new things to write about and they've all but disappeared in my brain. I know they're there somewhere. I just can't locate them right now and it is very, very late and I better get to bed. Until next time...

No comments: