Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bonus - A Second One

One summer afternoon I climbed a hill near my home. When I reached the top, I stretched out on the grass to relax.

Turning my head to one side, my eyes focused on some blades of grass within inches of my face. This short-range focus not only strained my eyes, but it blurred my view of anything beyond the end of my nose. So I began to adjust my focus, and then the distant city came into view instead. I found I could shift my sights from near to far at will. The choice was mine.

In the third chapter of the book of Colossians Paul emphasized that followers of Christ need to keep eternity in view. He wrote, "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth (3:2). We can choose where to put our focus.

We can succumb to selfish, earthbound thoughts, blurring our view of anything beyond the end of our nose. Or we can gaze through this sinful scene and fix our attention on things above, where Christ is seated at God's right hand ... and we with Him! Then, and only then, are we in a position to see what's most important in life.

Only the mind set on things above can say No to sin and Yes to holiness. The choice is ours. (by Joanie Yoder)

********

Just a short little thing I found torn out and stashed in a drawer. Thought you might enjoy it.

No comments: