Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Unshakable Faith (Jn 15:1-7)

Faith becomes full grown in hardships even if we don't like to hear that. But it is during the trials and battles that we clearly recognize how dependent we are on the Lord. We are utterly helpless and cannot be depended upon for anything short of our life in Christ. When we allow the roots of our trust in the Lord to sink deeper into Him, we are enabled to stand firm through anything. Adversity doesn't intimidate us if we have unshakable faith. Faith in God allows us to look at situations honestly and find the rational beliefs supporting our dependence on Him. We can remain calm, throughout a trying circumstance or situation, because we are holding fast to our confidence in God. This confidence is strengthened by our unwavering commitment to God alone. A steadfast relationship with our Lord enables us to move forward in faith, assured in our devotion to God and in the knowledge that everything is in His hands. We need not be held captive to fear but instead we can take the necessary steps to remain faithful in our devotion to Him. He is worthy of our love and admiration, and our faith in Him will not be a disappointment. We may stand before any adversary, clothed only in Christ's righteousness and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we will not be left naked and afraid. He is the Almighty God and in our love for Him we can stand assured that we're never left to fight our battles alone and neglected. Just as Jesus was not left alone and abandoned, so we will not be left hanging, destitute on our cross either. God is faithful and we can rest our steadfast faith in Him and be rest assured He'll never desert us. Everything and everyone may not be dependable but the fact remains that our God is righteous and holy and He can be trusted to fill us up when the need arises.

The key to such rock-solid faith, is an intimate relationship with God. Jesus said, "I am the vine, you are the branches; if a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit" (Jn 15:5). Upon salvation, we are grafted into the vine of Christ, which means we have absolute and total access to all that Christ is and has. His Spirit works and lives in us and through us and provides a constant connection between Father and child. Let it build our trust in Him knowing that all the power of heaven is available to us for facing trials. All we have to do is trust in God and He will take care of the rest. Once a branch is grafted, it becomes a physical, integral part of the vine.

However, we do have the choice of whether or not we tap into that power. If we neglect prayer, avoid Bible meditation, and try to keep certain situations from God's control, our relationship will be kept distant and faded and His work in our lives will be thwarted. But when we commit ourselves to the habit of learning to know God and obeying scriptural principles, His power will flow through us just when we need it, like sap surging through the vine gives life and victory to us, the branches. We "branches" on our own are not good for basically any purpose. Our only purpose as branches is to grow and bear fruit and this can't be done without the life-giving sap that flows from the vine.

We can take a branch and plant it in the ground and demand that it grow, but it won't grow, it'll just dry up and eventually blow away in the first strong wind. As a branch by itself can do nothing, it can't grow or produce fruit apart from the sap of the vine, so are our efforts useless to do likewise. The only thing a branch is useful for is for fire. It will burn but it will never bear fruit on it's own. We can demand it grow fruit and wait as long as we want but it, by itself, will not bear any fruit. But once that branch is grafted onto the vine, the sap flows through the branch and produces fruit in the branch. It is not the branch producing the fruit; it's the sap within the branch that produces the fruit. It is no less so than with our Christian walk. It is Christ flowing through us that bears the fruit. Our only purpose is to give the sap a place through which to flow. And so doing we accomplish our earthly purpose. We are vessels transporting the life of Christ, the "sap," to others. But, just as with the vine, and with us merely the transporters, the "branches" benefit by the life-giving and life-sustaining sap that flows through us, and we remain healthy. New leaves will bud forth and life will fill the branch, but the branch can do nothing on its own. It grows and remains healthy as long as the sap isn't hindered from flowing through the branch. It is Christ's life, His "sap," that flows through us and produces the fruit.

An intimate understanding of God leads to obedience, because we rest in him and know the power and trustworthiness of the One (and only One) we serve. Obedience develops our faith, especially during trials and hardships. We do everything possible to prevent us ever having to go through difficult times but it is during such trials and difficulties that we grow in our faith. It is only in the fire that we are perfected in the righteousness of Christ. Our trust in Him is made strong when we see that He can be trusted and eventually, we grow into unshakable "oaks of righteousness" (Isa 61:3).

It's completely overcast today and the deck is wet so we must have had some very light rain last night sometime. Either that, or it's still wet from yesterday's light shower. I don't think we're forecasted to have rain today though, I think we're supposed to be in for more rain Thursday night but I can't be sure. I saw pictures of Kayla's car this morning and you can tell it hit something hard. She was so lucky although I have to say that I don't truly believe luck had anything to do with it. God's holy providence was at work when she wrecked her car. It's interesting that she has a clip on her visor that says, "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly."

Well, now the sun is trying to come through for us so I guess it's not really clouds we have but the marine layer instead. I really miss having the marine layer like we had when we lived in Walnut Creek. I miss living there. I think that's the only place I've ever felt like I was home. I used to love to pull into our driveway on Mendota Court and see that cool marine layer spilling over the top of the mountains. In the summertime it meant relief from the heat and in the winter it almost always assured us of a little fog coming our way. I miss that.

I have nothing on my agenda today except for my exercise class at 6:00. I'll give Kayla a call after while if I don't get an answer to the email I sent her and find out if she wants to go with me or not. She had told me should would like to participate but that was before her wreck. She may be too sore still.

We're just going to have hot dogs for dinner tonight since I have a class. We had salmon fillets (or are they called steaks?) last night and we plan on spaghetti tomorrow night. Just having the hot dogs mean that I can cook mine when I get home and not have to go to class on a full stomach. I don't have anything planned for tomorrow. Then comes Friday and Saturday when I'll just about be camping out at church for the 24-hour prayer vigil. I think I'm booked for about 7 or 8 hours. Not all the time is for praying. I'll be hosting a lot too so I need to get everything squared around before then. At least we can just warm up the spaghetti for dinner Friday night. Neither of us will really have to cook.

Well, I guess that's going to be it for today. I need to get my chores done. Now that I'm getting up before Michael does, I can't do my chores until after he gets up and he got up after 9:00 this morning so I need to get in and get things done so I won't feel guilty for letting them sit while I try to think of things to write about. Oh, I think my repotted cacti are going to do okay. They look and feel good. Now I just need to get in and repot the cuttings I have rooting in a cup in my kitchen. Too cold outside to do it today.

I woke up in a bath of sweat this morning early because I had forgotten to turn off the heater yesterday after it warmed up. It is a new habit I have to form: Turning off the heater before going to bed! Anyway, until tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK Marj-are you typing this stuff from Biblical text or is it really coming from you? You are an amazing writer...puts a clearer view on some of the things we are used to being exposed to but not quite hearing.

Love,
Franci