Tuesday, October 16, 2007

David: Forward by Faith

We can learn a valuable lesson from the way David reacted to Goliath's insults and mockery of the Israelites. When the young shepherd first came upon the scene, he was told that whoever defeated the giant would receive a grand reward from King Saul ... riches, a wife, freedom from taxes. David asked to have this information repeated (1Sam 17:25-30) just to make sure he had heard correctly as such a generous reward was certainly a great motivator and it obviously piqued his interest. However, what ultimately propelled David forward onto the battlefield was not anything for personal gain but, instead, was the deep desire he had to defend the name of his God.

Twice ... once while standing before Saul and again when facing the giant ... David confirmed his true motivation in the matter: "[Saul's] servant has killed both the lion and the bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, since he has taunted the armies of the living God" (vv 36, 46).

As maturing Christians, we must examine our motives for desiring victory in any battle we face today. Too often we are requesting a selfish end, such as a release from our discomfort and a return to an easier way of life. "The lottery as such would be so good! And I would do so many righteous things with the money. If God would just let me win!!" But God intends to mold us into Christlikeness, regardless of our degree of comfort or discomfort. Until we also want to be remade into a pure reflection of the Lord Jesus, our motivations will be wrong no matter what we're hoping for! Right motives say: "I don't like my 'Goliath,' but if I have to fight this battle to be the person God wants me to be, then I am willing."

Before taking any action, David wisely examined his motives in order to move forward by faith. We should do no less because we can desire the right things for the wrong reasons. In our honesty we must often confess that our motivations are wrong, even when the 'giant' itself isn't.

Just a short blog today. I wasn't very creative when I wrote this one and nothing is clicking this morning while I type it out. Usually, I write it bare-boned and then "flesh it out" when I type it out but, like I said, nothing is clicking. Maybe I'm having a difficult time writing because I'm up so early. Pepper woke me up at 6:00 this morning and after letting him back in I just decided to not bother going back to bed. I must have awakened Michael because he just came out and got a cup of coffee, carrying it back to his studio after a fuzzy "g'd morning."

It's starting to get light outside and we seem to have a lot of moisture in the air. I can see it hanging like a light fog in the distance and it looks like we have overcast skies today. Of course that could just be the marine layer getting this far east. That happens sometimes. You wouldn't think it would go so far inland, but it does occasionally. But double checking, we do have a fairly heavy overcast. Guess they got that part of the forecast correct. We're supposed to get some rain later today or tonight I think.

Kayla is none the worse for wear following her car accident. We're just grateful she came out of the deal with so few injuries. I think, other than being sore and a few small cuts on her face, she's okay. I guess life is all wrapped up in caring for those we love. First you have a baby to worry about. Then your baby has a baby to worry about. Then that baby has a baby to worry ... well you get the point. We're never home free. There's always someone to worry about.

Well, I'm going to take advantage of waking up early and get started doing something. At least my blog is done and out of the way already this morning. Of course, it wasn't much of a blog today but I guess I can't write something every day and have it not come out as a dud once in awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marj-

I am so glad to hear that Kayla has come out so well from the accident. God was definitely watching over her (He always is, but you know what I mean). I'm sure she'll still be sore for a bit, but it could have been much, much worse.

Keep on BLOGgin'!
Love,
Franci