Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Little of This, a Little of That

My morning chores are done and I'm free to blog. I noticed yesterday I forgot to put a title on my blog but I had fewer typos so I don't feel too bad. I tried to use the spell checker but I couldn't quite figure it out. Once it stopped on a misspelled word and I fixed it, I couldn't get it to continue. But, have no fear, I will keep working at it until I figure it all out. I don't have a spell checker on my email program so I'm not used to working with one. [Note: I just successfully used the spell checker. Yea! I didn't have any misspelled words either. But then that's not usually my problem. My problem is I quite often use the wrong word!]

Michael had trouble falling asleep last night so he slept in this morning. I actually woke up a little earlier than usual. I tried to create a set bedtime for me (hoping to create a set wake up time) but how do you make yourself fall asleep at a certain time? Or wake up at a certain time? I tried for two weeks and finally just gave up. I didn't have too much trouble last night. I was really tired for some reason. I have an alarm clock for the deaf that has a shaker I put under my pillow but that's such a rude way to wake up.

I did some reading yesterday and found a couple things I thought I'd share. Mart De Haan wrote in Been Thinking About, "According to Paul, knowing we are loved is as important to our well-being as it is for an oak or cedar to have a healthy root system. If we aren't well-grounded in the love of God, we are apt to be like a shallow-rooted tree that dries up in the heat or blows over in the wind." That's so true. We need to always ponder the love of God in our hearts and minds because it's the knowledge of that love that's going to get us through the rough patches in life. I mean, if we know ... really, really know ... that God loves us, we can make it through anything this world can throw at us. We can't just think that God loves us or hope that He does, we have to KNOW He loves us. And this knowing is the same type of knowing that we have when we know that He exists. We have no doubts that God lives and we must have no doubts that He loves us!

Karen Barber wrote, "Prayer is the antidote to the poison of fear and worry." I really like that, don't you? Prayer is the antidote to the poison of fear and worry. We need to think of fear and worry as things that poison our lives. I know that most of us find it impossible to rid ourselves of all fear and worry but we needn't feel helpless. There is an antidote. Prayer. Scripture says to pray constantly which means to be in an attitude of prayer at all times. Everything we say and everything we think and do can be done as if it were a prayer to our heavenly Father. That's what Brother Thomas did with in his kitchen duties. He lived his life as a prayer. Prayer is the antidote to fear and worry.

I just took a break and stepped out onto the deck to survey the day. It's a beautiful day here. There's just a slight haze between us and Hogback mountain. It's not quite a clear day, but it's really close. Traffic is quite heavy on our little cul-de-sac this morning. They're grading the hillside at the end of our street in preparation for some more duplexes. Most of the time we don't hear the bulldozers but today they seem extra loud for some reason. But I have the door open this morning so that's probably why I can hear them so well today. The water truck and workers keep going back and forth past the house. It will be interesting to see how busy our little street gets once those duplexes are built and rented. I have my fingers crossed that it won't be too, too bad.

I hope we're not as hot today. We got to 105 in the shade on our deck yesterday. It was quite uncomfortable yesterday afternoon. It's late morning now and we're still in the 80s out there so maybe it won't get as hot today. I don't particularly like summer. The heat and I don't agree with each other. I enjoy winter and love spring and fall. But I know all the crops that are grown here in California need the hot summers to be productive so it's really a blessing from God. Michael and I are weather freaks. We love weather and have our little weather station. I record the high and low on the calendar everyday. A couple of our electronic sensors have died on us recently so we're down to just temperatures and humidity and rain gauge now though. We'd love to have a full weather station with wind speed and everything. We would have made great storm chasers in our younger days. I love everything about weather. Storms are so much fun for me. They're exciting! We've seen some amazing lightning. While driving through Steamboats Springs we saw a bolt strike the mountainside and turn into flaming balls that rolled and bounced their way down the mountain and disappeared. Then a few years ago we saw a lightning bolt simply dissolve into something like dust that just twinkled down to the ground. I'm not making this up. We stood on our front porch and watched that bolt turn into "twinkle dust" and fall to the ground like a 4th of July firework display. It was absolutely amazing!!

I went to the Post Office yesterday. We don't have delivery in our town so we have a Post Office box and have to drive to get our mail. I usually do that on Wednesdays and Fridays. On my way back, I stopped at the little "Stop and Go" (or whatever it's called), and when I walked in the door the clerks called out, "The Sugar Daddy Lady!" I confess, I'm known all over town as the Sugar Daddy Lady. I have a weakness, what can I say? But in my defense I have to tell you that I don't particularly like chocolate and just about every other kind of candy has chocolate on it. So I eat Sugar Daddies. I think it's funny. Imagine someone my age liking Sugar Daddies! But they are soooooooo good!

Punkie, our orange tabby, is upside down on the footstool with her arms (I know they're really legs but I call the front ones arms) up in the air like bloated roadkill. Isn't it amazing how cats can always look comfortable? Even when they're upside down with their arms up in the air. And sometimes they'll sleep with just their heads upside down. I don't know how they do that. I just wish sometimes I could feel as comfortable as they always look. I've never seen a cat look uncomfortable. Never.

I need to buckle down and do some housework this afternoon. My carpets need to be vacuumed and the baths need scouring and I want to bleach my counters in the kitchen. We drink a lot of iced tea in this house and if we spill any on the counters, it stains them. So I have to get in there and bleach them fairly often or they just look horrible. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to do housework? If it would just clean itself? I don't know about you, but I think I would still find something to complain about. What was I saying about Brother Thomas? Whether I enjoy it or not I will vacuum my floors and clean my baths unto the Lord! My life is a prayer. Now if I could just remember that. LOL

No comments: