Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

The following is the congregational prayer I gave at church this morning, May 9th:

We come before You today, Lord just as we are with all out faults, shortcomings and sins. We always desire to come before You in righteousness this morning but we are bankrupt in our righteousness department. We fully recognize that any righteousness we may have is not of ourselves, it is Christ's. We calm all our worries and come settle ourselves before You this morning bathed in Christ's holiness, Christ's righteousness. We need only to calm ourselves and be thankful for Your provisions to enter into Your very throne room. We have so much to be thankful for, Lord. We thank You for making it possible for the unclean to stand before You, clean. For making us acceptable in Your sight. We thank You for Your care and keeping. We thank You for Your love and forgiveness. And with grateful hearts we ask for You to continually forgive us because we are always falling short on our end no matter how hard we try. Thank you for making us clean and holy. And than You for loving us.

We praise You, Father, for all that You are and we love You with renewed hearts and minds. You are everything we need, Lord. Your holiness and majesty dwarf that of our own and because of that we thank You. All that we strive to be -- You already are. Your glory shines forth into this world; a beacon of light in the darkness where we stumble and fall. Help us to remember that You always give us everything we need. You are everything we need. If we have nothing less than Your love and kindness it will be abundantly enough.

Open our eyes, Lord, so that we might see more of You and grown in our love and faith in You. Our faith seems so scrawny, Lord. Sometimes we muster everything we are and have and we know it's not enough, not really. You deserve so much more and yet, with grace, You accept us as if we were Christ Himself. Oh, Lord, we have so much to be thankful for! Make us fully aware of this incredible gift You've given us in Christ.

Be with us this day. Fill us with Your Holy Spirit and make us sensitive to the fact that He is always with us. Through turmoil and pain, through failures and short comings, through doubts and through frailties, He is always here.

Bless all the mothers today, Lord, on this special day set aside to recognize them. You hold them in the palm of You hand every day and You pour out Your blessings upon them. In awe we affirm that You saw fit to bless the entire world through just on mother so many years ago. It is with a submissive faith like hers that we pray before You today.

Amen

*********

It rained this afternoon after we planted the Portulaca in the deck railing planters. Small, green, immature little plants that will grow and produce a showplace of colorful blossoms to attract the bees and hummingbirds. I took a very nice nap this afternoon on the couch. (I figured I could do that since it is after all Mothers' Day.) The rain woke me up once and I got up and walked to the door to look out and see. Rainwater was pouring off the roof and it was raining hard. Then I went back to my couch and fell asleep again.

My son and daughter-in-law came over and brought me a nice present. Ken also fixed my computer problem I woke up to today. I couldn't send. I don't know what the problem was. It worked just as I went to bed last night but when I got up this morning it wouldn't send. Hubby could send and both of us could receive. I was the only one who couldn't send. It took him about 8 minutes and everything worked fine. I don't know what he did. I don't understand computers. He does.

My friend Kathleen and I are planning to walk tomorrow morning and Tuesday morning. But we might need to cancel tomorrow's plans as it may be raining in the morning. Tuesday is not threatened but tomorrow is. There are so many things going on this next week that I may not be able to get in my walk every day. We'll just have to wait and see.

Nothing else to really report. I just thought you might enjoy the prayer I gave this morning. I'm asked to give the congregational prayer about every 3 months. And I get so nervous!! I didn't do a very good job of writing it but it was the best I could do. I waited until yesterday to write it so I didn't have the opportunity to mull it over for a few days and edit it or change it making it sound more fluid here and there.

Until next time...

No comments: