Monday, July 7, 2008

Getting the Most Out of Work

"Love what you do and you will not work a day in your life," so goes the modern saying. But we don't always get to do just what we like or work beside easy-going, fun-loving people. Even the well-loved jobs have their low points and tasks that feel more like drudgery than play. Our attitude, then, cannot be based upon the work itself or on our feelings about the work; rather it must reflect our positions as God's children. We would be far wiser to adopt a new maxim: "Work for the Lord you love in everything you do in the life you love, and you will be fulfilled every day of your life."

Believe it our not, we get the most out of our work when we view ourselves as servants. Contrary to this fact, modern society teaches us to seek power and respect for self instead of toiling diligently for those who have authority over us. But the Bible preaches a different principle: "Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth" (Col 3:22). Biblical obedience isn't merely an outward show of obedience with an inward sense of grumbling and resentment, but it is a true commitment to the welfare of the employer. (Paul used the word "slaves" because the ancient practice of human ownership was common at that time. Though times have changed, the godly principle of honoring a commitment still applies.)

As children of God, we are called to be His servants. If we spend significant amounts of time at a workplace, much of our service will be done there. As employees, we are to apply the biblical principle of obedience and sacrifice, because whoever our human boss may be, God is the ultimate authority overseeing our actions. He wants to see us practicing righteousness at our workplaces and offices. And our bosses have been placed in our paths for reasons that only God knows and we honor Him when we honor our boss. We are to work everything we do as doing them unto the Lord. Jesus is our Master. He is our owner. And we glorify Him when we yield to those who have authority over us.

********

Our smoke is back and yesterday it was just awful! When I went out on the deck early for my quiet time yesterday it was gorgeous outside. The air was clear and crisp enough for my hubby's hoodie. It was beautiful when I left to go to church to prepare the day's communion. However, when I left church to come home and stepped outside I almost choked on the smoke. I found out later that we got hit with a double whammy. We had the smoke from a fire about 3-5 miles from us plus we had smoke from all the other fires burning in northern California. Yesterday's smoke was the worst day since the fires got started. I could see the smoke blowing between our house and the stop sign at the corner just down from us at the intersection. Cough, cough, choke, wheeze! It's almost as bad today as it was yesterday only when I went out to the deck this morning I couldn't smell it and it's not blowing in the wind the way it was yesterday. But it's almost as bad looking across to Hogback Mountain. The fire that's just a couple miles from us has been put out and I think that's the difference between yesterday and today. That ground-level smoke has dissipated but the other smoke is still in the air. Well, now that that's thoroughly discussed I can go on to something else!

Michael slept in this morning until almost 10:00. I got up a little before 8:30. I had my alarm set for 8:00 but I couldn't drag my body out of bed quite that early. But I did manage to get up relatively close to the alarm time. And I managed to get the bed made while it was still warm from Michael sleeping in it. That was a weird sensation this morning. Making up a warm bed. I don't know, it just felt kind of weird. Yesterday was a near disaster for me. I woke up at 6:00 in case I needed to wash my hair and let it dry. I washed it the night before hoping that would hold me over through Sunday morning but with my hair, I just never know. Anyway I got ready and had my quiet time and still had time on my hands so I sat down with my book and the next thing I knew I was waking up from a half an hour snooze. I hadn't even gotten sleepy, the last thing I remember is reading. And the next thing I knew I was shaking myself awake. I had to hurry down to church, late for the first time in over a year. Oh well, my schedule has lots of extra time factored in just for such things as this. But it was rather shocking to wake up from a nap that you didn't even bother to get sleepy for. I mean, why waste time? Why not just read and fall instantly asleep? You'll have more time to sleep that way.

I bought a Beth Moore book when we did our shopping on Friday and I finished it last night. What a great book!! It's a wonderful book and heavy on the Greek which is one of my favorite past times (looking at the definitions of the Greek words in my interlinear and Vines). This book, To Live is Christ, is all about the apostle Paul and I loved every word of it. It was so good I cried at the end. She had me so emotionally caught up in Paul's life that my heart just burst and the tears came spilling out. I was also a little sad because it was over and I didn't want it to be. So if you're looking for a new book to read, may I suggest this one. You won't regret the time you spend reading it, I promise you that. There's only been one other book that left me in tears and that was Six Weeks One Friday by Max Lucado.

I want very much to go to town today and buy anything else I can find to read by her. I don't know if she has any other books out. I know she started out doing Bible studies not books. To Live is Christ was originally written as a Bible study. But Moore is the best female Christian writer I've ever read. Of course I've yet to read anything by Joyce Meyers so I'm not really being fair I guess.

I have no solid plans for today I may get in and bleach my counter tops. Coffee and tea stain my counters and we are not the neatest people when we pour our drinks. They can be clean and disinfected and still look dirty so I have to get in and bleach them occasionally. And it's also time to clean our bathrooms again whether I want to or not. And I noticed when I walked through the house this morning that the carpet could use the vacuum again too. Why don't things stay clean when we go to all the trouble to clean them in the first place??? I mean, why do we bother??? But other than these very basic and loosely-formed tasks I have no plans for the day. And, as Dr. Phil would say, "How's your day working for you now???"

I have a problem brewing with one of my deacons. And it really worries me. I don't mean I own the deacons, I know that's what it sounds like I said, but it's not at all what I meant. I just meant that as Chair of the Deacon Board it will fall in my lap and I will have to deal with it. An elderly couple who are both serving as deacons don't really like the praise songs we sing at the beginning of the service. They like the old hymns. Music is a big deal with them and they have mentioned this in every conceivable way without actually coming out and saying they don't like them. Now I love these two people. They're in my small group and I've come to really like them as friends as well as love them as believers. She especially has become very dear to me. But Thursday night at the meeting she brought up an idea that at first sounded like it was no big deal. On every 5th Sunday of the month (which happens occasionally) they suggested we just have hymns that Sunday, no praise songs. It didn't sound like a big deal to me. But Neil (minister of music) poked in his head to see if we deacons had anything to say to him before he left for the day. So naturally I had her explain her idea to Neil. And he explained that he'd not be willing to do that anymore than he would be to say that on the 4th Sunday of every month we'd have nothing but praise songs. His logic weighed heavily on me and I thought it was a sufficient and reasonable answer to her suggestions. Now this is where it gets tricky. After the meeting we went out onto the patio at the other end of the building to grab us a bite to eat since it was Thursday evening and through the summer we are hosting community BBQs on Thursdays. While we were sitting there eating my friend said, "You know, according to the bylaws, it's up to the deacons to make these decisions, not the minister of music or the pastor" (he had walked in at the end of our discussion back at the meeting and had sided with Neil). Talk about pulling the rug out from under me! I could just see it: The Run Away Deacons Board. It took me so off guard that I almost choked on my burger.

Now that's not exactly what the bylaws state but I can see how it could be interpreted that way if you were really wanting it to say something different than what it says. Anyway I feel this is going to go badly for everyone concerned. Before I had become chair we had already changed from using the communion wafers we'd been utilizing to using flat cracker loaves because they insisted on it being unleavened bread. It didn't seem to matter how many times I spoke up and said that the wafers we'd been using were unleavened, but it didn't say that exactly on the box. Then they took it on themselves to purchase a case of Jewish flatbread and everyone went along with them since they had already bought the crackers. Now I like using the crackers a lot better than the communion wafers. I've never liked communion wafers. But what bothers me is the stressing of unleavened bread and the fact that we have boxes and boxes and boxes of the communion wafers. It bothered me that they just took it on themselves to buy the crackers when we had not yet all agreed to the switch. I liked the idea of the crackers but I felt we should have used up the wafers we had on hand first. Also I felt compelled for it to be made clear that we are not under law but under grace. Pastor did his best to explain that point but I'm afraid it fell on deaf ears. Anyway, my friends feel very strongly about the music. They have complained that there are too many praise songs, that we sing them through too many times and that some of them are not exactly biblical. They have complained that there isn't written music so people can see how to sing them. They complained because they felt we used the wrong music at a church event (it was recorded praise song instrumentals). They had felt hymns would have been more appropriate since those in the community might not know any of the praise tunes and it would just be music to them with no connection to Christ. And that's a valid point. But...

Now you must understand. I don't do conflict well and I just don't like the way this music thing is going. So I ask for your prayers on this matter that I will know when and how to negotiate between these that I love. And for the record the bylaws don't say that the deacons can arrange the services the way they deem to be appropriate. Those decisions are not made by the deacons. The deacons are to "serve and assist the pastor, leaders and members" in caring for the spiritual welfare of the congregation and to "provide guidance as needed to the Director of Music Ministries." But I seriously foresee this coming to a head and becoming a battle. So pray for me and pray for these I love. Pray that I will not say or do anything unless if it comes from love for all concerned. Pray that my petty irritation won't rear it's ugly head. Believe it or not, churches have split over such nonsense. And individuals can get their feelings hurt and choose to leave loving congregations over matters such as these. This is silliness that cannot be treated as silliness. It's ridiculous to squabble over such as this but everyone has feelings and just pray that I will know the loving way to handle this situation. Thank you.

It's getting late so I guess I should get busy doing something besides talking. It's just that I see this getting ugly and I really, really, really don't want it to. I love this couple and she has become one of my closest friends at church. But there's no way we're going to overrule Neil and Pastor nor should we want to! #1. It's not our responsibility and, #2. It wouldn't be the loving thing to do. Pray for God's direction in all of this and that people can look at these issues openly and honestly without taking any decision personally.

And I thank you in advance for your prayers.

1 comment:

God Chaser said...

thank you for the your words on work I really needed to read that to day. It was as if I ad shared some work issues with you today. Again God at work.
Also I am rejoicing you are still getting your quiet time in the mornings. You go girl!