Thursday, November 1, 2007

Blog #1003

Christians often tend to think of biblical characters as a special, almost subspecies, of superheros that God raised up to do what He wanted done. But the truth is they were just common, everyday people just like us. They had their strong points but they had their weaknesses too. Some of them were so great that they nearly overshadowed the good they did. But they were just regular people and God loved them. And guess what? He loves us too. He loves us just as much as He loved Moses, David, Paul, and John. Can we fully grasp that? Let me say it again: God loves us just as much as He loved Abraham and Noah and Job and Jacob and Isaac and the apostle Paul.

The lives of these saints weren't much different than ours today. They had up days. They had down days. Some days were good. Some days were bad. Into their lives came much the same difficulties and victories that come into our lives today. Abraham was an idolater, Moses was fearful and timid. David was hunted by Saul and Paul was beaten and imprisoned for the gospel. Yet, each one clung to the promise that God wouldn't leave them (Deut 31:6-8). That's why David ... the adulterer ... could write, "Even though I walk through the valley of shadow and death, I will fear no evil for you are with me" (Ps 23:4).

All the saints in the Bible shared one particular thing. They shared their faith in God and the conviction that they were doing the Lord's bidding. Anyone operating under this belief possesses a zeal, a drive, and a courage that all the evil forces faced against them could not and would not prevail. Evil cannot destroy God's endeavors or the holy ones He sends forth to accomplish His will. God's will will always persevere.

Today, we are doing God's work in the world just as Moses and Paul did all those many long years ago. We may not earn the same reputation as they did but we can nevertheless stand firm in our position. We may not earn recognition but we will more than likely face persecution and when that day comes, we can be sure that God will not desert us or leave us to fulfill His purposes by ourselves (2Tim 4:17-18).

We shouldn't place biblical heroes on pedestals because they were just like us. True, they earned their place in history but not due to their own feeble efforts. They won their standing by their faith in God; doing what God promised. Today, we share the legacy of their trust in the God who will not leave or abandon (He 13:5). Like them, we will be obedient even during the difficult times and we will share the legacy of our forebears.

********

Sad news out of Georgia today. Betty's 16 year old grandson died last night or this morning. He had suffered severe injuries in an accident but he was doing much better. He was off the ventilator and things were looking good for him. We never know when the Lord will call us home so we need to always be ready for that eventuality. Some day God will call us home too. I pray that Betty, who's on her way home from Texas, will rest in God's will and find consolation knowing that He too lost a dear One. He knows what we're going through. May the Holy Spirit ease the pain everyone is experiencing now and in it's place leave the peace that only God can give. We have the very peace of our Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:27) to support us and give us strength through the difficult times. He knows. He understands. He comforts us in our pain when we seek Him out during trying and painful times. We live in a fallen world and bad things happen. God doesn't promise us all rosy times; but He does promise to go through these painful times along with us. Comfort these precious people who are heartbroken at Taylor's passing, Lord. Psalm 139:16 tells us that God ordains the number of days we are to have on this earth. As painful as it is we can rest knowing that the Lord had numbered each of Taylor's days even before he was born. We may feel like it's all so very premature but everything happens in God's timing. Everyone of us will die not a moment before God set the time for it. Lord, just reach out your arms and wrap them around these who are in so much pain right now. Assure them that he's at home with You in a fantastic place called heaven. And that he'll never experience pain or loss again. Amen.

Seems like I don't do much these days but I did accomplish something yesterday. I went down into the yard and raked all the leaves into piles. Then I made 5 or 6 trips carrying them all out to the burn pile in the vacant lot. Problem was that the leaves were building back up almost as fast as I was carrying them out. But at least I got the first raking done. It will need to be done again (probably several times) but I'm going to try to do it before they get as deep as they were yesterday. These were all beaten off the tree by that downpour we had the other night. That was really exciting.

Had a 5.6 earthquake in the Bay Area the other day. Michael and I were disappointed that we didn't even feel it. I love earthquakes. They're so exciting. Of course I know we're a little on the weird side but we love storms and quakes and other things most people don't like. It adds a little spice to our lives. It didn't cause any damage, just things falling off shelves. Little stuff. But I sure wish I'd felt it. We miss out on all the fun, LOL!

We had 13 trick or treaters last night. Pepper and I sat in the bedroom and I wrote three new blogs while Michael handed out the candy. We've done Halloween this way for years now and it works out fine and it keeps Pepper quiet most of the time. It was a good night for the ghosts and goblins. It wasn't too cold for them and it was dry. I remember Jamie's first Halloween; it was raining, but I took her out anyway. We just didn't stay long and she had a ball except she was afraid at one house. The people were a little bit frightening (even to me) so we didn't stay long. Just got our candy and ran.

I think I'll finish this up and go get my chores done. Michael's up now so I can make the bed. Seems so strange to have him sleep later than me. He's always been the early riser in the household but with me setting the alarm now, I'm always up before he is. I hate being awakened by my alarm but it's so nice not to sleep my entire day away. Guess I'll go get busy. Until tomorrow ...

No comments: